When we started running with the idea, I was ready to launch it that month, even with barely any preparation. I found a wholesaler who sold laundry bags for cheap and figured we could just use them and have it be a simple sport mesh with a drawstring. Bless my sweet wife because she kindly told me in her own way that my idea was a terrible one. She said we needed to see if we should patent it and go through the process to make it unique. I realized we should see if it actually works. We tested some socks in some other style bags and the idea worked but there really wasn't a laundry bag out there that could do what our's does now.
I remember going down to Home Depot and looking for materials I could use to make a really rough prototype out of a drawstring bag. We wanted it to be able to connect to an existing laundry hamper and have it stay open enough to conveniently put socks in the laundry bag. With my limited knowledge and way of jimmy rigging everything, I collected some supplies and made the worst prototype ever lol. But it was a learning process and we needed some stiffer material and obviously some professional help eventually.
We discovered some spacer mesh as being a thicker, foamy type of material that would help the bag stay open and have a stiffer shape. So we ordered five yards of that and had no idea how to get it started. On top of that, we had no idea how to make the "hook" that would connect the MatchMaid to an existing laundry hamper. Needless to say, my wife was right and I was wrong. We had a long way to go and I had no idea what I was in for to get a legit, real product made. But thank goodness we have been able to work together on this product. It has been a blessing and a headache all at different times, but it has all been worth it.